We Are Here to Help
Below is a list of typical questions we have heard from our clients. If your question is not listed below please use the contact us page to connect with us.
About how long does it take to downsize and get ready for my move?
Everyone has a different amount of “stuff” and requires different services, which makes this an impossible question to answer. This is why we offer a free consultation. We recommend you “get started” and work a few hours each day. We will get through your home rather quickly; you will be surprised!
What is the timeline for a typical move?
A move can be a few days for some or planned ahead months in advance. There is no typical amount of time, but the usual order is consultation, project coordination, photos, dimensions, floor plan, sorting and downsizing, special needs, tagging, packing, moving, unpacking, and express home set-up.
- Free consultation that lasts about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Sorting and downsizing: this process and number of hours or days varies depending on the amount of belongings you have and the rate at which you can make decisions about the items you will keep or let go of.
- Tagging identifies what will happen to your items such as pack, move, sell, ship, or donate. This is a highly efficient way of communicating to all parties involved in your move.
- Packing usually happens the day before the move, but sometimes we will pack as we sort, depending in the individual situation.
- Moving, unpacking, organizing, picture hanging, cable and phone hookup all usually happen on the same day.
I’m struggling with the downsizing process. Do you help with that?
We recognize this can be the biggest hurdle to overcome in the moving process, but we will never tell you what to keep or let go of. We will assist you and help you navigate through the process based on our extensive knowledge of the emotional issues, as well as an understanding of space and safety.
Do you provide estimates and are they in writing?
Yes, an estimate will be provided, in writing, after a free consultation in your home.
How long does the moving process take?
A typical move will be two days. We pack on the first day and unpack and organize everything on the second day, including hanging all the artwork. So, by dinner time on move-in day, your new home is ready for you to enjoy with every box unpacked and everything in its place allowing you to relax and settle in.
How do I disperse the things I don’t want to move?
There are many option to sell or donate your belongings and we assist you by coordinating estate sales, consignment, auction, eBay, Craigslist, charity pick ups, drop offs, etc.
How is a move manager different from a mover?
- Move managers minimize the chaos and stress associated with moving by addressing all aspects of the move process. They are responsible for creating and executing a seamless action plan, customized to the client’s wishes
- Move managers are not movers; however, we work closely with reputable local moving companies to complete that aspect of the job.
- Packing and unpacking services that a moving company will offer are quite different than ours. Our crew packs with intention, giving great thought to the entire process to allow for efficiency and the least amount of chaos. Each member of our crew will be aware of your floor plan and how YOU WOULD LIKE to have things put away at your new home. We unpack BASED ON YOUR DIRECTION. You may decide you will do your kitchen but want all the bedrooms completely unpacked….
- With the gentle and expert guidance of an experienced move manager, older adults and families make the key decisions without the emotional and physical distress that can follow. As a result, they avoid the costly mistakes and remorse that often accompany such major lifestyle transitions.
- Move managers do so much more than simply sort, settle, and move boxes; with loads of energy, enthusiasm, and experience, move managers take the worry (and work!) out of the move process. The client’s job is to simply enjoy his or her new living arrangement.
We look forward to hearing from you and helping you in whatever capacity you feel is best for you and your family.
Do you also refer a moving company?
Yes, we are proud to say that we have relationships with our movers that function like a symphony. Everyone knows their part and together we make your move seamless. Over the years, we have developed a system so that your move is highly efficient. This saves you time and money, while your belongings are handled with care and you are treated with respect and compassion.
Do you help with the floorplanning?
Yes, we will obtain or create the floor plan, take actual detailed measurements of your new home, measure all the pieces of furniture you wish to move, and help you design the space. We will help you determine what will safely and comfortably fit in your space as well.
How do you know how to put away the items in my hutch just like I had them?
We digitally photograph everything before we begin working on your sorting, downsizing, organizing, moving, etc. We set up your home the way you want and the way you like to live in the space. If your toothbrush is on the right side of the sink in your current home then it will be that way in your new home.
Will you help with hanging artwork?
Yes, we will hang all wall art unless it is very delicate or heavy and then we would recommend someone with that expertise.
What type of professional organizing do you do?
We do home/residential organizing of a particular room or the entire house including closets, cabinets, drawers, pantry, and home offices and garages.
If you’re helping sort through my important paperwork, are you background checked?
Yes, we have had national background checks performed on all of our employees.
Do you help with address changes and utilities?
We provide you with a checklist to serve as a guide for notifying companies and services of your new address, and for setting up utilities at your new home.
Why is record and document organizing so important?
This is a highly avoided and overwhelming part of many of our lives, yet without having our papers in order and our plans in place we are causing a heavy burden added to our day-to-day lives and leaving a negative legacy behind for the people we love. Getting things in order, defining a roadmap, storing properly, and communicating to a trusted representative will put your life at ease and give you and the ones you love peace of mind.
If we do most of the work to save money can I still contact you to do some of the work?
Yes. If you prefer, we can assist you with a portion of the process. Pick one, several, or all of our services and don’t hesitate to ask if you have a special request that is not on our list of services. If it is not in our area of expertise we will help locate the appropriate resource.
Do you follow a code of ethics?
Yes, we take this area of ethics and social responsibility very seriously. This is not something we put here to look good. Managing Moves & More follows a strict code of ethics developed by the National Association of Senior Move Managers, and includes: our commitment to only do work we are qualified for, treating clients with respect and compassion, not accepting gifts of any kind from our clients, not accepting referral fees from vendors, and keeping all information confidential. We are always furthering our knowledge through continuing education.
Request a Consultation
Contact Managing Moves & More